History

1790’s

Our firm can trace its roots back over 200 years......

George Weir – traded on the High Street, Horncastle, as the Printer and Auctioneer, when this Wolds Market town was drawing visitors from Europe to its Famous Horse Fair. 1830’s Mr Weir Junior, joined the practice Meanwhile in…

1842

George Bell moved from Perthshire to be Land Agent at Revesby Estate. Previously, he had followed his father’s footsteps as land agent on an estate in Perthshire.

1855

Mr. Weir sold his business to Mr Parish, Senior.

1872

Parish & Son (Walter Booth Parish) moved to present offices in Old Bank Chambers, Horncastle. We still have the tenant right valuation books from this date.

1890

Change to Parish & Stafford Walter as Mr Stafford Walter, Valuer, came into partnership.

1897

R Hay Bell apprenticed. His articles forbade gambling “haunting” taverns or contracting matrimonially without his employer’s consent.

1910

Parish, Stafford Walter & Bell as R Hay Bell became a partner.

1933

Robert H Bell apprenticed on leaving the Grammar School at Horncastle. He started doing his apprenticeship qualifications, but this was interrupted by the Second World War.

1947

Robert H Bell came into partnership, having qualified on his return from the war.

1968

Association with George Mawer & Company.

1969

Robert Hay Bell died aged 88. He played an active part in the firm and local community right until his death.

1978

Robert L H Bell joined the firm, having trained at Reading University and the Yorkshire Firm of Wells Cundall.

1980

Merger with George Mawer & Company and Masons to form Mawer Mason & Bell.

1982

Robert L H Bell becomes a partner and Tony Wing joins the practice.

1984

Opening of our Woodhall Spa Office. Later premises were acquired at the junction of Station Road and Stixwould Road in Woodhall Spa.

1987

Split of Mawer Mason & Bell as three quarters of the firm is sold to the Leeds Building Society. The start of Robert Bell & Company.

1990

The opening of our Coningsby office managed by Tony Wing.

1996

Mr Robert Hay Bell wrote his autobiography: "Memoirs of an Infantry Auctioneer"

1998

Residential Management office opened on Burton Road, Lincoln, beneath the walls of Lincoln Castle.

2000

Tony Wing joins the partnership.

2001

Opening of our new Lincoln City office at 43 Silver Street offering, for the very first time, the company’s full range of property services to the Lincoln market.

2007

Robert H Bell dies at the age of 89.

2010

Horncastle Town Hall re-opens, managed by Robert Bell & Company and is able to accommodate again our monthly furniture sales. One hundred years after R Hay Bell became a partner in 1910, our firm was incorporated to become Robert Bell & Company Ltd.